Literally, “to make the curious talk”—the French’s notorious explain-all reason given to account for why things are the way they are, without really explaining anything. Often used as a snappish comeback to questions posed by inquisitive children who just won’t shut up. Generally emphasized with a shrug and at least one contemptuously raised eyebrow.

5.26.2006

happy memorial day weekend

I was lost
drowning in a sea of boredom
sulking in the dungeon of early Friday afternoon despair
wishing I were home
or shopping
or dead
anything but sitting in my office
staring at financial status spreadsheets

Then you swept into my life
like a pale bird of paradise
clad in bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt
your legs glowing like mighty alabaster pillars
anchored firmly in leather loafers
to save me from the void

Those beautiful, magical words poured from your lips
"are you familiar with the phrase 'power outtage'?"
I nearly swooned with happiness
"yes!" I cried "yes, I DO! I mean--I AM!"
and you winked and strutted out the door
your chicklet teeth gleaming like tiny beacons of freedom

New Boss Man
I love you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home