Literally, “to make the curious talk”—the French’s notorious explain-all reason given to account for why things are the way they are, without really explaining anything. Often used as a snappish comeback to questions posed by inquisitive children who just won’t shut up. Generally emphasized with a shrug and at least one contemptuously raised eyebrow.

8.27.2006

boycott underwear

I'm no prude, but I think Victoria's Secret has finally gone too far. As I flipped through the fall catalog of lace thongs, stocking garters, and crotchless panties, I was struck by the peculiar vulgarity of this contraption:

Ooh-la-lecch!

This particular brassiere is constructed in such a way as to allow the maximum amount of cleavage exposure, or as they call it 'plunging neckline', without having to suffer the pesky modesty of underwear getting in the way. Of course, I have no beef with cleavage, or boobs in general, really. (I don't so much believe in "if you've got it, flaunt it" as I do in "even if you don't got it, it's a free country, so entice/horrify at your own discretion".) No, my righteous horror has nothing to do with decency, but with fashion. Now, I'm no fasion guru and I know that bras are meant to be worn under one's clothes (except on the most special of occasions), but that doesn't mean that they are allowed to be this ugly. Christ. I was physically repulsed at the sight of this bra. It's a fucking disaster. It's so awful, in fact, that it gives this monstrosity a good run for the money:

Even she looks pissed at having to wear it, and she's getting PAID for it.

Ugh. No more shopping at VS for me. I didn't mind the child labor sweatshops, but I draw the line at visual terrorism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home