Literally, “to make the curious talk”—the French’s notorious explain-all reason given to account for why things are the way they are, without really explaining anything. Often used as a snappish comeback to questions posed by inquisitive children who just won’t shut up. Generally emphasized with a shrug and at least one contemptuously raised eyebrow.

7.29.2006

lesbians and terrorists and Bush--oh my!

Due to the recent Israel-Lebanon debacle (in addition to the ongoing US-Afghanistan, US-Iraq, and US-Iran ones), I am rapidly approaching my depressing/politically frustrating news saturation limit--much as I did after September 11 when I killed my TV for 4 months until I could safely get through an afternoon re-run of Frasier without pulling my hair out over the commercial patriotism of an evening news bumper. During yesterday's morning commute I was just about to switch from my favored program on NPR to some hideous DJ show on one of the local rock stations when the radio reporter on the morning news twice referred to Lebanon's resident terrorist militia as "Lezbullah". She quickly recovered and carefully finished the rest of her broadcast without another slip-up, but it was too late--I was inspired. A bit of Googling revealed some joking chatter involving the term "Lezbullah" or "Lezbollah," as well as an intriguing site in Turkish which I think may involve some sort of a dead lesbian, but as of yet, no Islamic terrorist organization run by lezbos. Though I am neither a lesbian nor an Islamic terrorist, the kitsch of the name alone is making me seriously consider forming such a group--you know, just for fun. Can you imagine if Dubya could market the War on Terror as a struggle against both Islamic terrorism AND lesbians? Such an epic and noble mission would surely earn him enough spiritual points to sway the tetchy evangelical vote into electing him into a third term. If only he could find a way to work in a quest to defeat abortion, evolution and environmental laws he could rule forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home