Literally, “to make the curious talk”—the French’s notorious explain-all reason given to account for why things are the way they are, without really explaining anything. Often used as a snappish comeback to questions posed by inquisitive children who just won’t shut up. Generally emphasized with a shrug and at least one contemptuously raised eyebrow.

10.17.2006

what is wrong with me??

I think I have some kind of new, as-yet-undiscovered, debilitating disease. For the second time this week, I've inexplicably spilled a glass of liquid ALL OVER. I'm not talking about carelessly knocking over a cup of water with a wayward elbow--I'm talking full-blown, eruptive splatter-patterns.

On Saturday night, during Cheez-its and wiiine, I somehow managed to spill a small plastic cup of red wine all over myself, my camera, the carpet, the floor AND the wall. (One tiny cup of wine!!) Fortunately everyone was distracted by Donkey Conga, and I was able to clean up most of it before anyone noticed (though as hard as I try, the wine splotches on the wall--two feet above the floor!!--will simply not come out). Tonight I wasn't nearly so lucky: I dropped/spilled/rocketed a full glass of icy water onto my neck, chest, lap, the table, bench seat and floor. I still don't understand how it happened exactly. Just, all of a sudden, pure freezing embarrassment was pouring (somehow) down the collar of my T-shirt and all over my pants in the most God-awful dish clatter you've ever heard. My dinner mates were just as helpful as they were during the wine episode (laughing and laughing and laughing) but every single waiter in the restaurant immediately rushed over with non-absorptive napkins. All I could do was giggle hysterically. Once they'd cleared away the spent napkins and the remains of my drunken noodles, one waiter brought over a fresh glass of water and set it cautiously down in front of me. I tried to joke my way out of mortification by promising to be careful with this one, but he didn't look very amused or trusting. I can't say that I blame him. From now on I'm drinking my fluids out of a goddamned sippy cup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home